Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at London Business School
Costas Markides is a Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship and holds the Robert P. Bauman Chair of Strategic Leadership at the London Business School (LBS). He has been a professor at LBS since 1990, where he served as Chairman of the Strategy Department for six years and as a member of the Academic Board of Executive Education for four years. He also serves on the editorial boards of several academic journals and served on the board of directors of the Strategic Management Society (SMS) for six years, from 2013 to 2019. A native of Cyprus, he received his BA (Distinction, 1983) and MA (1984) in Economics from Boston University, and his MBA (1985) and Doctorate (1990) from the Harvard Business School.
He has published his research in top academic journals as well as top managerial journals. He has also published several books on the topics of strategy and innovation, including the best-selling books:
- All the Right Moves: A Guide to Crafting Breakthrough Strategy (1999) was shortlisted for the Igor Ansoff Strategy Book of the Year award in 2000.
- Fast Second: How Smart Companies Bypass Radical Innovation to Enter and Dominate New Markets (2004) was shortlisted for the 2005
- Financial Times/Goldman Sachs Management book of the year award.
- Game-Changing Strategies: How to create new market space in established industries by breaking the rules (2008)
- Organising for the New Normal: Prepare your company for the journey of continuous disruption (2021).
- Business Model Innovation: Strategic and Organisational issues for established firms (2023)
Specialised Subjects Include:
- How to make your organisation more innovative
- Responding to disruption successfully
- Strategic Innovation: How to win by breaking the rules
He is currently studying how we can use the technologies of the social era as well as new and disruptive business models to solve big societal problems, such as poverty, malnutrition, inner-city crime, and climate change.